Unknown Autocar_DVD A Pioneer Restored - The Story of the North Eastern Railway 1903 Electric Autocar DVD
Proceeds go to the N.E.R 1903 Electric Autocar Trust
In 1903 the North Eastern Railway designed and built a pair of “autocars” which laid the foundation for most of the trains running today. At that time, steam powered the world’s railways, but the Autocars carried their own electrical power plank - a petrol engine driving a dynamo which supplied power to the electric motors. This was the world's first use of an internal combustion engine in a passenger carrying rail vehicle.
When taken out of service in the early 1930s the body of Autocar 3170 was sold to a North Yorkshire landowner and made into a holiday home on the North Yorkshire Moors, where it survived until it was sold to carriage restorer Stephen Middleton in September 2003.
This DVD tells the story of the restoration of Autocar 3170 to carry passengers again, told by the volunteers who made this exceptional project a success. It includes video recorded at key stages in the restoratio and lineside video of the Autocar running on the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Railway.
Compiled and Edited by Martin Sunderland.
Approx Running Time 55min.