Lionheart Trains LHT-S-5505US Class 55xx 2-6-2 ’British Railways’ Green Unnumbered Steam Locomotive - DCC Sound Fitted
- Lionheart Trains
- O Gauge Scale
UK Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout.
Availability: Available to Pre-Order
- DCC Sound Fitted
- What the icons mean
- Die cast metal chassis and cylinders with working vacuum pump
- Die cast wheels with steel tyres
- Brake shoes in ABS plastic
- Two styles of sand boxes in ABS
- 5 pole skew wound precision motor
- Sprung driving wheel and pony trucks, live bearing pick-ups
- Front and rear pony wheel trucks to operate on a cam system to allow the model to traverse R2 (40.5”radius) curves
- Die cast pivoted coupling and connecting rods.
- Two versions of smokebox door (one with fixings for B.R. number plate)
- Easily removeable cab roof (for adding a crew) by means of small magnets
- Chimney, short and tall safety valve casings and whistles (brass)
- Working cab doors in metal
- Wire handrails with stanchions in metal
- Sprung metal buffers and screw link couplings
- Full back head detail with reversing lever in ABS
- Coal load in bunker
- Flickering firebox glow
They were designed as small mixed traffic branch locomotives, mainly used on branch lines. They were a development of Churchward's 4500 Class with larger side tanks and increased water capacity.100 were built between 1927–1929 at the GWR Swindon Works and were numbered 4575-4599 and 5500-5574. Fifteen locomotives were fitted with auto apparatus in 1953 to enable them to run push-pull trains on South Wales lines with auto trailers.
They are often referred to as Small Prairie Class tank locomotives. A total of Eleven members of the class have made it into preservation.