Class 105 2-Car DMU BR Blue
- Directional and interior lighting
The British Rail Class 105 diesel multiple units were built by Cravens Ltd. of Sheffield from 1956 to 1959. The class shared a body-side profile identical to British Railways Mark 1 carriage stock, using the same doors and windows. None were selected for refurbishment in the late 1970s, however, and the last 105 car was withdrawn from service in 1988.
The Class 105 DMUs were used chiefly on Eastern Region services around Hull, Lincolnshire, East Anglia and local services to/From London King's Cross. Units initially designated to work on the former Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway lines were moved to services from London King's Cross. Units were also used on the London Midland Region and in Scotland, particularly in Aberdeenshire. The closure of many of these lines in the 1960s resulted in their dispersal throughout Great Britain, notably to Tyseley depot in Birmingham. The electrification of the lines from London King's Cross and the introduction of the Class 313 EMUs in 1976 saw many Cravens units transferred away to other cities and regions. Their looks and similarities to the Mk1, along with other quirks of the type made for a characterful unit that became popular with enthusiasts.
Norwich was the last depot to operate the Cravens units, with one unit being returned to green livery, and gaining some celebrity status towards the end of its service life.