We are pleased to announce our next exclusive model. The SECR Maunsell D1 Class 4-4-0 Steam Locomotive in OO Gauge.
In partnership with Dapol we are very excited to be producing the D1 Class locomotive for the first time as a ready to run locomotive.
Production is already well underway with a current ETA being late Autumn 2022. The first livery samples have already been reviewed by Dapol, with images on our website now.
Watch the launch video here:
This locomotive follows on from the hugely popular Wainwright D Class.
The model will be available in six liveries:
£324.95 DCC Sound Fitted
After 1901 the D class locomotive fast became the mainline locomotive of choice on the south coast, (making the SE&CR’s first mainline express formation) further (for the time) powerful locomotives were investigated by the companies. After Richard Maunsell took the reigns from Harry Wainwright in 1913 he worked on a series of new locomotives which were intended for a long service life, this involved the conversion and upgrade of 11 E class locomotives, resulting in the E1 class. This proved very successful and led directly to the conversion of 21 D class into the D1 class between 1921 and 1927. Though arguably, not as elegant as the D class equipped with a larger boiler, a belpaire firebox and longer travel cylinders the D1 was able to produce a considerable haulage and power increase over its predecessors.
Initially allocated to Ashford shed, this class was to be found all over the south-eastern division from London to the south.
Withdrawn in November 1961, no preserved examples exist.
• Diecast Chassis
• Low centre of gravity located between the driving wheels
• NEM couplings with removable coupling pocket
• Sprung buffers
• R2 (438mm/17.2”) minimum radius
• Pickup from tender and driving wheels
• Powerful 5 pole motor located within boiler
• Pull-out PCB for tool free DCC & Speaker fitting.
• ‘Snap-fit’ conductive tender drawbar
• Options for bass reflex speaker in tender (pre-wired)
• Firebox glow
• Profiled wheels
• Detailed motion
• Removable coal load with internal tender profiling
• Fully detailed back-head and cab interior.
• Back by Dapol’s comprehensive warranty and service
Variations (dependent on model represented)
• Two frame variations (to include early D class conversions)
• Two cab types
• Two Chimney types
• Two Smokebox types
• Three dome types (with/without top feed and plated)
• Two safety valve types (Ross-pop and Ramsbottom)
• With and without snifter valves
• ‘High capacity’ tenders
• Manual and automatic lubricators
• Additional minor detail variations
Please note: Production is well advanced and the number of models being produced is limited, so pre-ordering is highly recommended.
The images shown are of early decorated production samples and are NOT final production models. Various amendments and alterations have been reported and will be altered on final production models.
The decorated samples will be in display this weekend at the Model Rail Scotland exhibition.