New OO Gauge Class 59
Posted by Oliver Davies on
Gaugemaster are pleased to offer this locomotive in OO Scale for the first time, in both Analogue and DCC Smoke/Sound versions, as part of their Gaugemaster Collection range.
The Class 59 is a Co-Co formation diesel locomotive and the first US produced, privately-owned locomotive to operate regularly in the UK. The ordering of the first Class 59 was a result of quarry company Foster Yeomans dissatisfaction with the performance of the BR Class 56. The first 4 locomotives built by General Motors Electromotive Division were delivered to Foster Yeoman during 1986 and 59005 in 1989.
Proving very successful; one locomotive set a new UK haulage record for a single locomotive of 4639 tonnes. Foster Yeomans rivals ARC, Amey Roadstone Corporation, also ordered four modified Class 59s, the 59/1, as did National Power, who ordered six 59/2’s. GM invested in this initial UK success by extensively modifying the Class 59 internally to produce the Class 66, also hugely successful, within both the UK and continental Europe. Other than 59003, which, after return from loan to HHPI in Germany, is operated by GBRf, the Class 59 fleet is operated today by DB Schenker and Mendip Rail.
- Finely moulded body with many applied fine details
- Printed name plates (Etched plates supplied separately)
- Cast wheels with fine relief and appropriate colouring
- Heavy diecast chassis with all wheel pick up
- NEM pockets as standard
- Operating, independently controlled headlight and cab lights
- Push/Pull and light engine modes for head and taillights
- Day/Night headlamp selection
- Independent cab lighting
- Smoke Generator Factory Fitted (GM4210202 only)
Expected delivery Q1 2023
Available to pre-order DCC ready and DCC sound & smoke fitted