originally announced as Y3 Sentinel 4wVB No.68163 (exLMS 23) in BR Departmental Black
The Y1/Y3 will make an ideal model for those just starting out in O Gauge or a fine addition to a more established modellers fleet of locomotives. It will be equally at home on micro shunting layout or working away in the sidings of the largest of club layouts.
1st decorated sample shown for illustration purposes only
Features of the Sentinel Y1/Y3 will include:
- Die-cast running plate
- Die-cast chassis, Die-cast and profiled wheels
- High level of separately applied detail
- Glowing fire light effect
- Removable cab roof for ease of posing your locomotive crew
- Sprung metal buffers and articulated screw coupling
- Dapol’s proven motor and gearbox offering exceptional smooth performance and slow running capabilities
The Y1/Y3 sentinel was based on the road going lorry, utilising a similar centrally mounted steam tube boiler and chain drive system to the wheels. Whilst not having the greatest turn of speed (approximately 36mph top speed) these small locos proved capable of pulling a constant draw weight and were considered ideal for shunting in yards and providing motive power along smaller branch lines. These quirky little locos were used by all of the big four railway companies but it was the LNER that used and ordered greatest number. Many Y1’s and Y3’s were produced and continued to provide service until their phased withdrawal over the 1940’s and 1950’s. Seven survived into departmental stock until the 1960’s. Only two Y1/Y3’s survived into preservation in the UK.