The British Rail Class 153 Super Sprinters are single-coach railcars converted from two-coach Class 155 diesel multiple units. The class was intended for service on rural and branch lines where passenger numbers do not justify longer trains.
The Class 153 was produced by Hunslet- Barclay from the conversion of two car Class 155s originally manufactured by British Leyland in the late 1980s. In all 70 Class 153s were built from 35 donor Class 155s and were numbered 153301-335 and 153351-385.
These Super Sprinters operated in NE and NW England, Wales, East Anglia, the Midlands, and SW England.
These great little models feature lots of details including external pipe work, directional lighting, and finely printed external logos and numbering.
- Directional lighting
- All wheel pick up and all wheel drive
- Coreless motor for smoother operation
- Cast wheel in the appropriate colour to match livery
- Finely moulded body with many optional detailing parts
- Coaches can be fitted with Plug-In Lighting Bars
- CLASS 153
- LIVERY Arriva
- ERA 9 (Wales & Borders; 7 December 2003–13 October 2018)
- WHEEL CONFIGURATION DMU
- COUPLINGS NEM
- DCC TYPE DCC Fitted
- TRACK SUPPLY 2 Rail DCC
- PAINT FINISH Pristine
- LENGTH OVER BUFFER 155mm
- WIDTH 17mm
- HEIGHT 27mm