In 1898 the South Eastern Railway ordered a batch of 20 ton 6 Wheeled Goods Brake Vans. These first 10 vans were outwardly similar to the Midland railway 6 wheel brakes featuring an enclosed body and a veranda on one end with a plat- form on the other.
A further 25 vans were built to this design between 1900 and 1909. During this time the wagons carried SER dark red/brown livery, and SECR lead grey with lettering on the main bodyside. It is known that the SECR did not like to re- paint vehicles if it could be avoided and it is believed the SER livery continued in use well into the SECR era.
From 1910 a further 55 vans were built this time featuring verandas on each end and some minor differences. The original 25 vans were rebuilt in a similar style (except with different ends) when they were due for overhaul after 1910.