The grampus wagon was the principal open wagon for the engineering departments of BR from the early 1950s to the early 1980s. The wagon design itself was extremely versatile with drop down sides and removable end planks. It was used for moving everything from engineering supplies to ballast and sleepers and even signal posts, which could be carried on overlapping wagons by removing the end planks.
Nearly 4800 wagons were built between 1951 and 1961 across several design variations and were used by all regions of BR. They were finally decommissioned to make way for sturdier all steel open wagons which could withstand better the heavy usage of the more modern civil engineering machinery.
- Highly detailed body, finely moulded
- Profiled wheels
- NEM pockets with self-centring couplings
- LENGTH OVER BUFFER 100mm
- WIDTH 33mm
- HEIGHT 27mm