The Y1/Y3 sentinel was based on the road going lorry, utilising a similar centrally mounted steam tube boiler and chain drive system to the wheels. Whilst not having the greatest turn of speed (approximately 36mph top speed) these small locos proved capable of pulling a constant draw weight and were considered ideal for shunting in yards and providing motive power along smaller branch lines.
These quirky little locos were used by all of the big four railway companies but it was the LNER that used and ordered greatest number. Many Y1s and Y3s were produced and continued to provide service until their phased withdrawal over the 1940s and 1950s. Seven survived into departmental stock until the 1960s, but only two Y1/Y3s survive into preservation in the UK.
These great little models feature lots of details including external pipe work, directional lighting, and finely printed external logos and numbering.
- Die-cast chassis
- Die-cast running plate
- Glowing fire light effect
- Die-cast and profiled wheels
- High level of separately applied detail
- Sprung metal buffers and articulated screw coupling
- Removable cab roof for ease of posing your locomotive crew
- Dapol’s proven motor and gearbox offering exceptional smooth performance and slow running capabilities
- CLASS Y1 / Y3
- LIVERY GWR Green
- ERA 3 (1923 - 1947)
- WHEEL CONFIGURATION 0-4-0
- DECODER Installed
- SOUND Use Soundtraxx STX881106 Steam Sound Decoder (Speaker Required)
- COUPLINGS NEM
- TRACK SUPPLY 2 Rail DCC
- PAINT FINISH Pristine
- WHEELBASE 49mm
- WIDTH 62mm
- HEIGHT 88mm