'Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry' LNER Lined Green (Doncaster) Class V2 2-6-2 Steam Locomotive No.4843
This locomotive was built in April 1939 at Doncaster. It was named the following month, it continued in traffic as BR No. 60872 until withdrawal in September 1963. The name was transferred to Deltic Class locomotive (later Class 55) Co-Co diesel No. D9002 on 4th April 1963 during a ceremony at York station.
- Built: 1936 – 1944
- Built for: LNER
- Designed by: Sir Nigel Gresley
- Duties: mixed traffic
- Wheels: 2-6-2
- All new body tooling
- Adjustable tender draw-bar length
- Pre-fitted speaker for ease of Digital Sound installation
- Realistic fire-box flicker
- Etched nameplates
- Sprung buffers
- NEM coupling pockets
The Prototype The Gresley V2 Class 2-6-2 locomotives were designed for mixed traffic use and were designed during 1935 going through various modifications before construction of the first five locomotives commenced in 1936.
184 V2 Class locomotives were built in eleven batches between 1936 and 1944 of which eight were named. They were allocated mainly to depots along the East Coast Main Line between London and Aberdeen and also on the former Great Central main line. They were used for fast freight trains and also for passenger workings particularly during World War 2, where they put in some impressive performances often on workings replacing Gresley pacific classes.
Following the cessation of hostilities, the track on the ECML was very run down and the first of several derailments took place requiring the replacement of the front bogie truck which was undertaken on all members of the class.
Withdrawals commenced in February 1962 and by December 1966 the final locomotive had been taken out of service.
The first locomotive to enter traffic ‘Green Arrow’ was withdrawn from Kings Cross shed in August 1962 and was subsequently preserved becoming a member of the National Collection. It is currently on display at Locomotion, Shildon.