Athearn ATHG81118 AMD103/P42, Amtrak/50th Anniversary PhaseVI Locomotive #108
- HO Scale
- Product features directional lighting
- Product features internal lighting
- What the icons mean
Amtrak’s five commemorative 50th Anniversary P42 locomotives were created to celebrate 50 years as America’s Railroad®, each with a different design. The lineup includes old favorites (Phase I and Dash 8 Phase III), a present day (Phase V) and two new designs (Midnight Blue and Phase VI). Athearn is working closely with Amtrak to authentically replicate each of these special liveries that will be operating across their system.
Collect all five!
ROAD NUMBER SPECIFIC FEATURES:
- Bolt-on nose
- PTC antenna farm
- Bolt-on nose
- PTC antenna farm
AMD103/P42 SERIES LOCOMOTIVE FEATURES:
- Officially licensed product of Amtrak® (Amtrak-painted units)
- 3 different nose variations: Amtrak as-built, Amtrak rebuilt, and Via
- DCC-ready features Quick Plug™ plug-and-play technology with 21-pin NEM connector
- Flexible rubber MU hoses
- Flexible rubber trainline hose
- Scaled from prototype resources including drawings, field measurements, photographs, and more
- Separately applied wire handrails
- Exhaust stack
- Photo etched metal radiator fan grille
- Highly-detailed underframe including air tanks with air lines, air filter, and air dryer with two different types of rock shields
- McHenry® scale knuckle couplers - Kadee® compatible
- Genesis driveline with 5-pole skew wound motor, precision machined flywheels, and multi-link drivetrain
- All-wheel drive with precision gears for smooth & quiet operation
- All-wheel electrical pickup provides reliable current flow
- Wheels with RP25 contours operate on all popular brands of track
- LED lighting including operating ditch lights and red marker lights
- Completely-redesigned die-cast frame for superior tractive effort
- Packaging securely holds model for safe storage
- Fully-assembled and ready-to-run
- Accurately painted and printed paint schemes
PROTOTYPE SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The General Electric P42DC, also known as the Genesis, is the current primary passenger locomotive of Amtrak. Producing 4250 HP and with a top speed of 110mph, these units are seen nationwide on short and long-distance trains. Equipped with marker lights on each end, the units are also seen in service on push-pull trains. Amtrak originally rostered 208 of the units, numbered from 1-207. Most notable among these are Amtrak’s specially-painted Heritage units painted in 2011 for Amtrak’s 40th anniversary, and the new round of commemorative units being released for the 50th Anniversary this year. Each one is painted in a different “phase” or paint scheme to highlight the different images of Amtrak over the years, as well as new concepts like the Midnight Blue livery designed to honor employees working throughout the night to keep passengers moving across the nation.
Via Rail owns a fleet of 21 units numbered 900-920, and they have been active since 2001. These locomotives are equipped with both standard and emergency horn sets. Some units also are equipped with a bright spotlight on the center of the nose, in addition to the standard headlights and ditch lights.
These highly-detailed models will finally answer one of our top customer requests for a Genesis Genesis. Highlights include a detailed cab interior complete with all of the appropriate controls and seats. A wealth of underbody detail includes piping, air filters, air dryer, and complete pilot detail. The models also feature prototype-specific details for Amtrak and Via Rail Canada. Amtrak units are available with either the as-built or the rebuilt (bolted-on) nose. They also feature several different styles of antenna arrays, ranging from the simple as-built appearance to the complex arrangement of the Illinois service units. Via Rail units feature the unique nose-mounted spotlight as well as prototypical standard and emergency horn sets.
All versions feature the operational, light, and sound features that have come to be expected from Genesis. Under the hood, the proven Genesis motor and a massive die-case frame combine to provide ample tractive effort. LED headlights, ditch lights, and marker lights are all provided. On the DCC/sound equipped versions, the ditch lights will alternate when the horn is activated, and the marker lights are independently-controlled and directional. Finally, A Soundtraxx Tsunami2 sound decoder and dual 28mm speakers provide our model with high-quality sound.