35-203Z

'Durham Light Infantry' BR Lined Green (Late Crest) Class V2 2-6-2 Steam Locomotive No.60964 - OO Gauge

Manufactured by Bachmann
£229.95 Deposit: £30.00
Add to my Wishlist
'Durham Light Infantry' BR Lined Green (Late Crest) Class V2 2-6-2 Steam Locomotive No.60964

'Durham Light Infantry' BR Lined Green (Late Crest) Class V2 2-6-2 Steam Locomotive No.60964

This locomotive was built at Darlington in January 1943. It was named in April 1958 and was withdrawn from service in May 1965. The name was transferred to Deltic Class locomotive (later Class 55) Co-Co diesel No. D9017 on 29th October 1963 during a ceremony at Durham station.

Expected Q2/Q3 2021

  • Built: 1936 – 1944
  • Built for: LNER* Built: 1936 – 1944
  • Built for: LNER
  • Designed by: Sir Nigel Gresley
  • Duties: mixed traffic
  • Wheels: 2-6-2

Highlights

  • All new body tooling
  • Adjustable tender draw-bar length
  • Pre-fitted speaker for ease of Digital Sound installation
  • Realistic fire-box flicker
  • Etched nameplates
  • Sprung buffers
  • NEM coupling pockets

History

The Prototype The Gresley V2 Class 2-6-2 locomotives were designed for mixed traffic use and were designed during 1935 going through various modifications before construction of the first five locomotives commenced in 1936.

184 V2 Class locomotives were built in eleven batches between 1936 and 1944 of which eight were named. They were allocated mainly to depots along the East Coast Main Line between London and Aberdeen and also on the former Great Central main line. They were used for fast freight trains and also for passenger workings particularly during World War 2, where they put in some impressive performances often on workings replacing Gresley pacific classes.

Following the cessation of hostilities, the track on the ECML was very run down and the first of several derailments took place requiring the replacement of the front bogie truck which was undertaken on all members of the class.

Withdrawals commenced in February 1962 and by December 1966 the final locomotive had been taken out of service.

The first locomotive to enter traffic ‘Green Arrow’ was withdrawn from Kings Cross shed in August 1962 and was subsequently preserved becoming a member of the National Collection. It is currently on display at Locomotion, Shildon.

  • Designed by: Sir Nigel Gresley
  • Duties: mixed traffic
  • Wheels: 2-6-2

Highlights

  • All new body tooling
  • Adjustable tender draw-bar length
  • Pre-fitted speaker for ease of Digital Sound installation
  • Realistic fire-box flicker
  • Sprung buffers

History

The LNER Class V2 steam locomotives were designed by Sir Nigel Gresley for express mixed traffic work and were built between 1936-1944. The V2s were the only significant class of 2-6-2 tender locomotives used in Britain.

184 locomotives were built at Doncaster and Darlington Works, construction continuing through the Second World War as they proved their usefulness. The V2 was developed from the Class A1/A3 Pacifics with smaller driving wheels and a shortened boiler. During WW2, the V2 locomotives achieved fantastic performances of haulage. Trains of over 20 carriages loaded to 700 tons proved within their abilities.

The most famous locomotive of the class is ‘Green Arrow’ 4771 (later 800 and 60800). ‘Green Arrow’ was the first of the class named for publicity purposes for the launch of the LNER’s express freight services and is the only preserved example, part of the National Collection.