Class 02 Redland Khaki (ex-D2867) By Heljan | Code: 2874 | O Gauge
- Free postage
We guarantee the price of our forthcoming releases for Locomotives, coaches and wagons to be at least 10-25% less than the RRP at the time of release. We also offer large discounts on many of our railway accessory ranges. We continually monitor other retailers to ensure that our prices are always competitive. Please note limited editions and exclusive products are not included in the price promise offer.
Have one to sell? Sell it to Rails of Sheffield
You purchased this item on
Notify me when this product is released
If you would like us to email you when this product is in stock at Rails, enter your email address in the form below.Something went wrong - please try again.
Thank you for registering for notifications! You will be notified by email when this product comes into stock.
|Product category||Class 02 , Diesel/Electric Loco ,|
|Product scale||O Gauge|
Design work is well advanced on HELJAN’s latest ‘O’ gauge locomotive project – the BR Class 02 0-4-0DH built by Yorkshire Engine Co. for dock shunting and goods yard duties in northern England. CAD has already been approved and tooling work is underway with a view to first releases reaching the UK in the final quarter of 2021.
These tiny four-wheeled shunters were designed to reach the places other locomotives could not; with a wheelbase of just 6ft they were able to tackle sharply curved lines in streets, docks, warehouses and factories and even use traditional wagon turntables. They were a direct replacement for the legendary Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway ‘Pug’ 0-4-0STs working dock lines in Liverpool, Manchester and beyond.
Around 50 similar locomotives were built for industrial railways, in many cases with electric rather than hydraulic transmission. As the work they were built for vanished in the 1960s, many of the 20-strong class found further work in industry, with some surviving well into the 1980s before being rescued for preservation. Highly regarded by crews for their Rolls-Royce engine, all-round visibility and unique (for a BR locomotive) rear platform for shunting staff, they continue to play a useful role in shunting and engineering work at heritage railways.
One locomotive, D2860, was even claimed by the National Railway Museum as the perfect shunter for its Great Hall in York.
- High-performance chassis with all-wheel drive and pick-up.
- Switchable cab lights.
- LED marker lights.
- 21-pin DCC decoder interface and provision for DCC sound.
- External features will include authentic detail variations.
- Highly-detailed cab interior and underframe, separate handrails, door handles and pipework.
- Etched Yorkshire Engine Co. worksplates.
- CLASS 02
- BUILT BY Yorkshire Engine Co.
- NUMBER BUILT 20
- SERVICE CAREER 1690 - 1975
- REGION Mixed
- PURPOSE Freight and Shunting
- LENGTH 155mm
- Class 02 02004 in BR green - weathered
- Class 02 in industrial yellow with wasp stripes
- Class 02 Industrial all-over yellow with wasp stripes
- Class 02 'SAM' ex-D2868 in industrial green - Weathered
- Class 02 NCB Staffordshire Area pale blue No. ND3 (ex-D2862)
- Class 02 Industrial green ‘SAM’ (ex-D2868) WEATHERED
- Class 02 BR green unnumbered (wasp stripes)
- Class 02 BR green D2860 (wasp stripes)
- Class 02 D2861 in BR green with red bufferbeam
- Class 02 BR green 02004 (wasp stripes, no BR logo) WEATHERED
- Class 02 D2864 in BR green with yellow bufferbeam
- Class 02 003 BR blue (wasp stripes)