OO/HO scale Ballast – Shed or Steam Era By DCC Concepts | Code: LB-4SE | OO Gauge
We guarantee the price of our forthcoming releases for Locomotives, coaches and wagons to be at least 10-25% less than the RRP at the time of release. We also offer large discounts on many of our railway accessory ranges. We continually monitor other retailers to ensure that our prices are always competitive. Please note limited editions and exclusive products are not included in the price promise offer.
Have one to sell? Sell it to Rails of Sheffield
You purchased this item on
|Product category||Ballast ,|
|Product scale||OO Gauge|
OO/HO scale Ballast – Shed/ Steam Era
A really well scaled Dark blend that accurately reflects prototype size and is eminently suitable for 4mm scale (OO) or HO modelling.
If you did not grow up with steam, visited an active steam shed or have not researched widely in relation to the steam era, then it is hard to really appreciate just how dark, dirty and gloomy things were around steam locomotives and their facilities.
Coal is black and smaller bits of coal, muck and dust was dropped everywhere.
Oiling of steam locos used a “total loss” system so that oil was used before it was then just dripped away, often mixed with steam and hot, mucky water. Washing out of locos took all of the ash and clinker away, washing it into the environment… and of course smog, soot, and the grungy particles in the smoke were constantly “airbrushed” onto the buildings and anything else in the area… especially the ground areas.
Accordingly, the predominant colours of this ballast are quite dark, just as the real world was… so, our Steam Era ballast represents ballast that has been laid for some time and subject to the muck, brake dust, rust, weather and other “industrial effluences” that were inevitably deposited as trains pass.
Although dark, it is not an unrelieved blackness. It is, once again, a complex blend based on lots of checking and it now closely matches our research.
As with the brown and grey mixes, consistency matters so grain size was checked with a vernier before packing. Because of the nature of heavily used areas around steam, we added slightly more fines to this mix as well.
This blend has one more special feature… a “special double colouring” that you can use that will change the final result to blend transitions to suit a specific area on your layout, or your preferences…
- 5 Litre Club Tub of 2mm/N scale Ballast. Brown Blend
- 2mm/N scale Ballast – Shed or Steam Era
- 5 Litre Club Tub of 2mm/N scale Ballast. Shed or Steam Era
- 5 Litre Club Tub of 2mm/N scale Ballast. Grey Blend
- 5 Litre Club Tub of OO/HO scale Ballast. Mixed Colour
- 5 Litre Club Tub of 2mm/N scale Ballast. Mixed Colour
- OO/HO scale Ballast – Brown Blend
- OO/HO scale Ballast – Grey Blend
- 2mm/N scale Ballast – Grey Blend
- 5 Litre Club Tub of OO/HO scale Ballast. Brown Blend
- 2mm/N scale Ballast – Brown Blend
- 5 Litre Club Tub of OO/HO scale Ballast. Grey Blend
- 5 Litre Club Tub of OO/HO scale Ballast. Shed or Steam Era