BR Lined Green Rebuilt Class W1 4-6-4 Steam Locomotive No.60700 By Hornby | Code: R3844 | OO Gauge
- Free postage
We guarantee the price of our forthcoming releases for Locomotives, coaches and wagons to be at least 10-25% less than the RRP at the time of release. We also offer large discounts on many of our railway accessory ranges. We continually monitor other retailers to ensure that our prices are always competitive. Please note limited editions and exclusive products are not included in the price promise offer.
Have one to sell? Sell it to Rails of Sheffield
You purchased this item on
Notify me when this product is released
If you would like us to email you when this product is in stock at Rails, enter your email address in the form below.Something went wrong - please try again.
Thank you for registering for notifications! You will be notified by email when this product comes into stock.
|Product category||2020 Range , Steam Locos/Engines ,|
|Product scale||OO Gauge|
Expected: Winter 2020-2021
Having completed nearly 90,000 miles of test running since new, Sir Nigel Gresley's W1 4-6-4HP 10000 entered Darlington Works on 21 August 1935 for what was anticipated to be a major overhaul and modification. During this period Gresley decided that it was time to rebuild 10000 as a three cylinder locomotive with a conventional firetube boiler and 10000 was moved to Doncaster Works on 13 October 1936, the first drawing for the modification being prepared at the end of November. When 10000 was finally released from Doncaster Works in November 1937, it was a significantly different locomotive; being fitted with a diagram 111 boiler that was very similar to the diagram 108 boiler fitted to 2006 Wolf of Badenoch, and with a streamlined casing to the same pattern as the A4 class. As many components as possible from the original W1 were used in the rebuild, including the frames, which were shortened by 1½ feet at the front end. Other items, where needed, were sourced from the A4 class, the A3 class or, like the front bogie, from the B17 and an experimental double Kylchap blastpipe and chimney was fitted. The cab, while similar to that of the A4 class, was considerably longer and this led to the retained original tender's coal delivery chute having to be lengthened to compensate for the extra distance from the firebox doors. The original tender was retained, but with superficial modifications, such as to the curvature of the front plates and the addition of streamlined plating to the front and rear, although this was partially removed just a year later, in 1938. Up to the outbreak of war in 1939, and during the war years, 10000 worked mainly on Kings Cross main line duties and with its power and smooth riding it was a popular engine with the LNER's drivers, though less so with the firemen due to the distance between the shovelling plate and the firehole door. The locomotive also became more 'fitter' friendly after April 1942 when the skirting was removed from ahead and behind the outside cylinders to improve access in wartime conditions. Post war, at the time of nationalisation and now numbered 60700, the corridor tender was swapped for the streamlined non-corridor tender from 60004 William Whitelaw and the locomotive was engaged in more varied duties, working occasional passenger services to Leeds and Cambridge from Kings Cross alongside the occasional 'lodging' turns to Newcastle. Following allocation to Doncaster on 25 October 1953, 60700 became a more frequent visitor to Leeds and also worked turns to Sheffield, as well as Doncaster to Peterborough passenger services and various braked goods trains. In a similar circumstance to 10000 never receiving its proposed name of British Enterprise in November 1929, 60700 never received its intended name of Pegasus, for which the nameplates were cast on 13 April 1951.
- LNER 'Sir Nigel Gresley' Train Set, Centenary Year Limited Edition - 1938
- Standard 2MT BR Green (Late) 2-6-0 Steam Locomotive No.78000
- LB&SCR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, 40 'Brighton' DCC Fitted
- LSWR Green Terrier 0-6-0 Tank Locomotive No.735
- LMS, Princess Royal Class, 4-6-2, 6212 'Duchess of Kent'
- Eurostar, Class 373/1 Beatles 'Yellow Submarine' Divisible Centre Saloons Coach Pack
- BR, Mk3 Trailer Standard Open, Coach D, 42168
- Avanti West Coast, Pendolino Pantograph Standard Buffet (PTSRMB)
- GWR Mk3 Trailer Standard Open Coach H No.42554
- LNER MK3 TSD Trailer Standard Disabled Coach F No.42238
- DRS, Mk2F Brake Standard Open, 9521
- BR Intercity Mk3 DVT, 82116
- LMS, D1919 20T Brake Van, 730386
- Pack of Three BR 27 Ton 7663 MSV Iron Ore Tipplers
- BR, Dia. 1/507 20T Brake Van, B954913
- Malcolm Logistics 40ft & 20ft Containers 'WHMU4500034 & WHMU4500044'
- Modern timber garage
- GWR Water Tower
- Platform Island x 2
- Hazel Cottage
- LNER Garter Blue Rebuilt Class W1 4-6-4 Steam Locomotive No.10000
- B&SCR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, 40 'Brighton'
- Class 91 117 'Cancer Research UK' GNER Bo-Bo Electric Locomotive
- BR Blue Class 08 0-6-0 Diesel Shunter No.3817 DCC TTS Sound
- BR, Mk3 Trailer Standard Open, Coach C, 42167
- BR R&D Division, ex-Mk1 BSO Laboratory 10, RDB 975428
- Avanti West Coast, Pendolino Motor Standard (MS)
- Virgin Trains, Mk2F Standard Open, 5946
- BR (S) Unlined Green MK1 RB Passenger Coach No.S1757
- BR (M) Blue/Grey MK1 RB(R) Passenger Coach No.M1712
- Network Rail, Mk3 DVT, 82129
- Network Rail (Ex-BR) Super GUV ADB 971003 QQA
- South Eastern, Class 395 Highspeed Train 2-car Coach Pack, MSO 39134 and MSO 39135
- Pentalver 40ft & 20ft Containers 'PSSU3148941 & PSSU3148951'
- Corn Products, 20T Tank wagons, three pack
- BR, HAA wagon with graffiti, 355855
- GWR Shunters Truck 'Bordesley Junction' No.94981
- Stone Bus Stop
- Platform Straight x 2
- Bloxham & Whiston Ironstone Co. Ltd, Peckett B2 Class, 0-6-0ST, 1456/1918
- 'Edward Thompson' Thompson Class A2/3 LNER Apple Green 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive No.500
- 'Sun Castle' Thompson Class A2/3 BR Lined Green 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive No.60523
- LNER (Promotional) Class W1 'Hush Hush' 4-6-4 Steam Locomotive No.10000
- Class 91 118 'The Fusiliers' LNER Bo-Bo Electric Locomotive
- BR, Class 31, A1A-A1A, D5627
- Malcolm Rail, Class 90, Bo-Bo, 90024
- Avanti West Coast, Class 390 Pendolino Train Pack
- Avanti West Coast, Pendolino Trailer Standard (TS)
- ScotRail, Mk2F Brake Second Open, 9527