LNER 'Sir Nigel Gresley' Train Set, Centenary Year Limited Edition - 1938 By Hornby | Code: R1252M | OO Gauge
We guarantee the price of our forthcoming releases for Locomotives, coaches and wagons to be at least 10-25% less than the RRP at the time of release. We also offer large discounts on many of our railway accessory ranges. We continually monitor other retailers to ensure that our prices are always competitive. Please note limited editions and exclusive products are not included in the price promise offer.
Have one to sell? Sell it to Rails of Sheffield
You purchased this item on
Please note the dimensions of this parcel are too large to be delivered by standard Royal Mail delivery. This item will be delivered by Parcelforce Courier Service.
|Product category||2020 Range , Train Set ,|
|Product scale||OO Gauge|
This limited edition of 1000 Hornby Dublo ‘Sir Nigel Gresley’ train set forms part of the Hornby Trains Centenary group of products and celebrates the 1930s decade by using artwork inspired by the Hornby Dublo packaging style of that period. Included with each set and as authentication is a numbered certificate confirming the quantity of limited edition sets produced.
- LNER A4 Class 4-6-2 4498 ‘Sir Nigel Gresley’
- LNER 61’ 6” Gresley Corridor Third, 1434
- LNER 61’ 6” Gresley Corridor Composite Brake, 58700
TRACK & ACCESSORIES
- 3rd Radius Oval
- Train Controller (R7229)
- Wall Plug Transformer (P9000W)
- Power Connecting Track (R8206)
By the 1930s Frank Hornby’s ‘0’ Gauge train system had grown considerably both in the large number of items available and in popularity but new houses were by that time being built smaller than they had been previously and consequently limiting the space available for amongst other things an ‘0’ Gauge train layout. Consequently, such restriction on space had an influence on the sales of Hornby’s ‘0’ Gauge trains.
In mainline Europe a smaller gauge was being developed which was half the size of ‘0’. This new scale was aptly classified as ‘H0’ as it was half the size of the ‘0’ Gauge models.
Faced with this potential competition, the Meccano Board in 1937 decided to introduce their own system but due to scale versus mechanical size restrictions they could not quite produce an ‘H0’ system but opted for a slightly larger scale which was given the name ‘Dublo’ by Meccano’s Commercial Director. The Hornby Dublo scale used more or less the same wheel back to back measurements of the ‘H0’ system but generally speaking all other dimensions were increased by 0.5mm.
By 1938 the first adverts started to appear promoting the new Hornby Dublo system. Two locomotives were initially produced one of which was a generic 0-6-2 freight model and available with GWR, LNER, LMS or SR markings while the other featured the LNER Class A4, ‘Sir Nigel Gresley’. These two locomotives were available with either a clockwork mechanism or a 12vDC motor and both featured in individual train sets where they shared a common pack.
This celebratory set goes some way to replicating the first Hornby Dublo 1938 passenger train set. The stunning and heavily detailed LNER Class A4, ‘Sir Nigel Gresley’ illustrates how the design and scale integrity of model production has developed over the years. Similarly, the Gresley teak effect coaches that are of a different type to those produced in 1938 show the amazing advances in model production since the launch of Hornby Dublo’s 1938 train sets.
- Standard 2MT BR Green (Late) 2-6-0 Steam Locomotive No.78000
- LB&SCR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, 40 'Brighton' DCC Fitted
- LSWR Green Terrier 0-6-0 Tank Locomotive No.735
- LMS, Princess Royal Class, 4-6-2, 6212 'Duchess of Kent'
- Eurostar, Class 373/1 Beatles 'Yellow Submarine' Divisible Centre Saloons Coach Pack
- BR, Mk3 Trailer Standard Open, Coach D, 42168
- Avanti West Coast, Pendolino Pantograph Standard Buffet (PTSRMB)
- Modern timber garage
- GWR Water Tower
- Platform Island x 2
- Hazel Cottage
- LMS, D1919 20T Brake Van, 730386
- Pack of Three BR 27 Ton 7663 MSV Iron Ore Tipplers
- BR, Dia. 1/507 20T Brake Van, B954913
- Malcolm Logistics 40ft & 20ft Containers 'WHMU4500034 & WHMU4500044'
- GWR Mk3 Trailer Standard Open Coach H No.42554
- LNER, Mk3 Trailer Standard Disabled, Coach F, 42238
- DRS, Mk2F Brake Standard Open, 9521
- BR Intercity Mk3 DVT, 82116
- GWR Signal Box
- Virgin Trains, Mk2F Standard Open, 5946
- BR (S) Unlined Green MK1 RB Passenger Coach No.S1757
- BR (M) Blue/Grey MK1 RB(R) Passenger Coach No.M1712
- Network Rail, Mk3 DVT, 82129
- Network Rail (Ex-BR) Super GUV ADB 971003 QQA
- South Eastern, Class 395 Highspeed Train 2-car Coach Pack, MSO 39134 and MSO 39135
- Pentalver 40ft & 20ft Containers 'PSSU3148941 & PSSU3148951'
- LNER Garter Blue Rebuilt Class W1 4-6-4 Steam Locomotive No.10000
- BR Lined Green Rebuilt Class W1 4-6-4 Steam Locomotive No.60700
- B&SCR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, 40 'Brighton'
- Class 91 117 'Cancer Research UK' GNER Bo-Bo Electric Locomotive
- BR Blue Class 08 0-6-0 Diesel Shunter No.3817 DCC TTS Sound
- BR, Mk3 Trailer Standard Open, Coach C, 42167
- BR R&D Division, ex-Mk1 BSO Laboratory 10, RDB 975428
- Avanti West Coast, Pendolino Motor Standard (MS)
- Stone Bus Stop
- Platform Straight x 2
- Corn Products, 20T Tank wagons, three pack
- BR, HAA wagon with graffiti, 355855
- GWR Shunters Truck 'Bordesley Junction' No.94981
- Bloxham & Whiston Ironstone Co. Ltd, Peckett B2 Class, 0-6-0ST, 1456/1918
- 'Edward Thompson' Thompson Class A2/3 LNER Apple Green 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive No.500
- 'Sun Castle' Thompson Class A2/3 BR Lined Green 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive No.60523
- LNER (Promotional) Class W1 'Hush Hush' 4-6-4 Steam Locomotive No.10000
- Class 91 118 'The Fusiliers' LNER Bo-Bo Electric Locomotive
- BR, Class 31, A1A-A1A, D5627
- Malcolm Rail, Class 90, Bo-Bo, 90024
- Avanti West Coast, Class 390 Pendolino Train Pack
- Avanti West Coast, Pendolino Trailer Standard (TS)