Northern Rail, Class 156, Set 156480, DMS No. 57480 and DMSL No. 52480, 'Spirit of the Royal Air Force' By Hornby | Code: R3772 | OO Gauge
- Free postage
We guarantee the price of our forthcoming releases for Locomotives, coaches and wagons to be at least 10-25% less than the RRP at the time of release. We also offer large discounts on many of our railway accessory ranges. We continually monitor other retailers to ensure that our prices are always competitive. Please note limited editions and exclusive products are not included in the price promise offer.
Have one to sell? Sell it to Rails of Sheffield
You purchased this item on
Notify me when this product is released
If you would like us to email you when this product is in stock at Rails, enter your email address in the form below.Something went wrong - please try again.
Thank you for registering for notifications! You will be notified by email when this product comes into stock.
|Product category||2019 Range , Class 156 , Diesel/Electric Loco ,|
|Product scale||OO Gauge|
Expected: May 2019
The Provincial Services sector of British Rail was formed in 1982 and was responsible for a diverse range of routes across the United Kingdom, many of which were heavily subsidised and operated by either elderly first-generation Diesel Multiple Units, or cascaded locomotive hauled coaching stock. With this in mind, rather than refurbish or overhaul existing stock, it was felt that investment in a new fleet of DMUs was more cost effective, compared to loco-hauled trains. Consequently, a modern DMU was cheaper to operate, caused less wear to the track and could reduce journey times, leading to a higher frequency service. Low cost, lightweight railbus ‘Pacer’ DMUs were seen as the solution for the short distance and lightly used routes, while for inter-urban routes, medium-weight ‘Sprinter’ DMU's of a more traditional design would be used.
The Class 156 two-car sets formed part of the second generation of medium-weight DMUs, being designed to feel more like locomotive hauled stock, or an express coach, with end doors and 2+2 seating fitted with arm rests and tables. To differentiate them from the first generation ‘Sprinters’, the class came to be known as ‘Super Sprinters’, along with their Class 155 stablemates and between 1987-1989, Metro- ammell of Birmingham built 114 of the two-car Class 156 sets, numbered in the series 156401-156514. Each set was formed from a Driving Motor Standard (DMS), which contained an area for storing wheelchairs, bicycles and bulky luggage, and a Driving Motor Standard Lavatory (DMSL). Two-car set 156480, comprising DMS No. 57480 and DMSL No. 52480, was built in February 1989 and entered traffic at Neville Hill. Currently operating with Northern Rail, on 23 June, 2018 at a ceremony at Newcastle Central station, the unit was unveiled in a special RAF100 livery wrap that it will carry for the next three years.
- 2019 Hornby Catalogue (65th Edition)
- TTS Sound Decoder - Class 50
- GWR, Class 43 HST, Power Cars 43093 'Old Oak Common - HST Depot 1976-2018' and 43016
- BR, Princess Royal, 4-6-2, 46207 'Princess Arthur of Connaught'
- GWR, Class 5101 'Large Prairie', 2-6-2T, 4154
- BR, Class 5101 'Large Prairie', 2-6-2T, 4160 DCC FITTED
- ROD, J36 Class, 0-6-0, 5662
- Class 92 043 'Debussy' GBRf Europorte Co-Co Electric Locomotive
- BR Blue Class 31, A1A-A1A, 31102
- K&ESR, 'Terrier', 0-6-0T, No. 5 'Rolvenden' DCC FITTED
- Harry Potter 'Hogwarts Castle' 4-6-0 Steam Locomotive No.5972 DCC with TTS Sound!
- BR, D2068 20T Brake Van - M731792
- BR, 20T Brake Van (Weathered) - B950884
- Fowler Steam Roller
- Ballast - Granite
- Static Grass - Spring Meadow, 2.5mm
- Lichen - Green Mix
- Horse Chestnut Tree
- Lime Tree
- GWR Collett 'Bow Ended' Corridor Brake Third (R/H) 4941
- GWR Collett 57' Bow Ended D98 Six Compartment Brake Third (Left Hand) 5503
- BR Collett 57' Bow Ended D98 Six Compartment Brake Third (Right Hand) W4951W - Era 4
- BR 59' Bulleid Suburban Corridor Brake Third Coach S2852S
- GWR Mk3 Sliding Door TS
- LNER Mk3 Trailer Standard Open (TSO) 42150
- Cross Country Trains, Mk3 Sliding Door TCC
- BR (exSR) 10 Ton Bullied Cattle Wagon 'S52347'
- 4 Plank Wagon, 'C&F Gaen' No. 4
- Class 60044 'Dowlow' DB Schenker Co-Co Diesel Locomotive DCC with TTS Sound!
- BR Blue (Early) Class A3 'Flying Scotsman' 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive No.60103
- Longmorn Distillery, Ruston & Hornsby R&H 48DS, 0-4-0, 'Queen Anne'
- BR (Late), Lord Nelson Class, 4-6-0, 30859 'Robert Blake'
- GWR Collett 'Bow Ended' Corridor Brake Third (L/H) 4942
- BR Maunsell Kitchen/Dining First Class Coach No.S7858S
- GWR Collett 57' Bow Ended D98 Six Compartment Brake Third (Right Hand) 4972
- SR 59' Bulleid Suburban Corridor Composite Coach 5711 - Era 3
- ScotRail Mk2F Brake Second Open 9539
- GWR Mk3 Sliding Door TGS
- BR Mk2F First Open M3374
- BR Intercity Mk2F Brake Second Open 9525
- LNER Mk3 Trailer Standard Open (TSO) 42154
- BR GUV W86468
- LNER, Dia.064 'Toad E' Brake Van - 162007
- Figures - Town People
- Figures - Farm Animals
- TTS Sound Decoder - Class P2
- TTS Sound Decoder - Princess Royal Class
- Flockage - Dark Green
- Static Grass - Grass Meadow, 2.5mm
- Static Grass - Alpine Meadow (with Boulders), 2.5mm