LMS Stanier Class 8F BR Black (Late Crest) 2-8-0 Steam Locomotive No. 48773 DCC Sound By Graham Farish | Code: 372-163DS | N Gauge
- Free postage
We guarantee the price of our forthcoming releases for Locomotives, coaches and wagons to be at least 10-25% less than the RRP at the time of release. We also offer large discounts on many of our railway accessory ranges. We continually monitor other retailers to ensure that our prices are always competitive. Please note limited editions and exclusive products are not included in the price promise offer.
Have one to sell? Sell it to Rails of Sheffield
You purchased this item on
|Product category||Steam Locos/Engines ,|
|Product scale||N Gauge|
Bachmann's newly tooled Graham Farish LMS Stanier 8F No. 48773 certainly looks striking in its BR Black (Late Crest) livery and we are also delighted to be able to offer you this model with SOUND FITTED making running this loco all the more realistic!
NEM coupling pockets are fitted to the front and rear, and fine detailing can be found across the model - from the metal handrails to the cylinder drain cocks, brake blocks and turned-metal safety valves.
Inside the cab is a wealth of detail, whilst a hinged fall-plate is fitted between the locomotive and tender ready to accommodate a suitable crew from the Scenecraft figure range, we think the Steam Locomotive Staff (379-307) are ideal!
- Graham Farish N Scale
- Pristine BR Black (Late Crest) livery
- Loco-drive Mechanism
- Tender Pick-up
- Powerful Coreless Motor
- Accessory Pack
- NEM Coupling Pockets
- SOUND FITTED - See below for function list
- Length 140mm (over couplings)
- F1 - Sound (On/Off)
- F2 - Brake Key (non-latching)
- F3 - Cylinder Drain Cocks
- F4 - Single Whistle (Speed Related)
- F5 - Reverser
- F6 - Shovelling Coal
- F7 - Injector
- F8 - Blower
- F9 - Flange Squeal (Speed Related)
- F10 - Safety Valves
- F11 - Handbrake
- F12 - Water Tank Filling
- F13 - Coupling Clank
- F14 - Light Engine Mode
- F15 - Fade All Sounds
- F16 - Guard’s Whistle
- F17 - Automatic Wagon Buffering
- F18 - ‘Unfitted Freight Mode’
- F19 - ‘Pinned Brakes’
- F20 - 'Toot Toot'
- F21 - Short 'Toot-Toot'
- F22 - Medium Duration Swell Whistle
- F23 - Long Duration ‘Played’ Whistle
- F24 - ‘Clear from the Guard’
- F25 - ‘Going Under, Charlie’
- F26 - 'Guard to Driver Instructions’ See Text.
- F27 - Volume Down
- F28 - Volume Up
Analogue Users: Please note that exhaust and motion, automatic and randomised sounds will also operate when this model is used on analogue control (DC) straight from the box!
The London Midland and Scottish Railway's 8F class 2-8-0 heavy freight locomotive is a class of steam locomotive designed for hauling heavy freight. 852 were built between 1935 and 1946 (not all to LMS order), as a freight version of William Stanier's successful Black Five, and the class saw extensive service overseas during and after the Second World War. The type was extremely successful at doing what it was designed for, it was long-lived - to the end of British Rail steam in August 1968, and extremely widely travelled across the Midlands and Northern England into Scottish region and parts of Wales.
The 8F design incorporated the two-cylinder arrangement of the Black Fives. They were initially classified 7F, but this was later changed to the more familiar 8F. On the outbreak of the Second World War, the design was chosen to become the country's standard freight design, reprising the role the GCR Class 8K had in the First World War. The War Department had 208 8Fs built by Beyer Peacock and North British Locomotive Company and requisitioned 51 more. Stanier 8F production for the WD continued until 1943, when the cheaper WD Austerity 2-8-0 was introduced. Production for British domestic use continued until 1946.
Some 331 locomotives were built for the London Midland and Scottish Railway between 1935-45. A further 245 were built by the London and North Eastern Railway, Great Western Railway and Southern Railway in 1943-45 for LMS stock, though mostly retained on loan by the other railways during the war. The LNER also purchased 68 Stanier 8Fs for its own use in 1944-46, classifying them O6, though these were also sold to the LMS after the war. As noted above, 51 LMS locomotives were requisitioned by the WD in 1941, but 31 WD locomotives were subsequently purchased by the LMS in 1943 (including 8 of the requisitioned engines).
624 8Fs passed into British Railways ownership when Britain's railways were nationalised in 1948. A further 39 (10 requisitioned) were purchased from MEF stock in 1948, and a final 3 (1 requisitioned) from the Longmoor Military Railway in 1957, bringing the total to 666. The 8Fs were concentrated on the London Midland Region, but were also allocated to former LMS sheds on other regions. Despite some having operated in Scotland by the LMS, they were not common on the Scottish Region under BR ownership as the later WD 'Austerity' 2-8-0 and 2-10-0 types were used instead. The 8Fs were successful and durable locomotives in BR service, with all 666 locomotives surviving until 1960 and routine withdrawals not beginning until 1964. The first to go in 1960 was 48616, followed two years later by 48009. 48773–48775 (the former Longmoor Military Railway locomotives which were the only 8Fs on the Scottish Region) were also withdrawn in 1962, but these were reinstated into London Midland Region stock in 1963. The remaining 664 were withdrawn between 1964 and 1968, with 150 surviving to the last year of steam on BR. Fourteen examples survive in preservation including some repatriated from Turkey.
- N Class No.1823 in Southern Railway lined Maunsell Green (DCC Sound)
- WD Austerity Class 'Major-General Mc Mullen' LMR Blue 2-8-0 Steam Locomotive No.79250
- SE&CR N Class 31810 BR Lined Black (Late Crest) Weathered Edition
- LNER J39 with Group Standard 4200 Gallon Tender 64897 BR Black (Early Emblem)
- WD Austerity Class BR Black Early Emblem Weathered 2-8-0 Locomotive No.90441
- WD Austerity Class LNER Black 2-8-0 Steam Locomotive No.3085
- Castle Class #5070 'Sir Daniel Gooch' BR Lined Green Late Crest
- LNER J39 with Stepped Tender 64739 BR Black (Late Crest)
- SE&CR N Class 1860 SR Black (Sunshine)
- MR 3835 4F with Fowler Tender 4057 LMS Black (MR numerals)
- BR Standard 5MT with BR1B Tender 73109 BR Lined Black (Early Emblem)
- LMS Fairburn Tank 2278 LMS Black (Revised) Weathered
- BR Standard 5MT with BR1 Tender 73049 BR Lined Green (Late Crest) - DCC Sound
- LMS Fairburn Tank 42062 BR Lined Black (Late Crest)
- MR 3835 4F with Fowler Tender 43892 BR Black (British Railways)
- LNER O6 (8F) LNER Black (LNER Revised) 2-8-0 Steam Locomotive No. 3518
- BR Standard 5MT with BR1 Tender 73050 BR Lined Black (Late Crest) Weathered
- MR 3835 4F with Fowler Tender 43931 BR Black (Late Crest) Weathered
- LMS Stanier Class 8F LMS Black (Revised) 2-8-0 Steam Locomotive No.8035
- LNER J39 with Stepped Tender 4761 LNER Black (LNER Original)