LMS Stanier Class 8F 2-8-0 48773 BR Black Late Crest DCC Sound By Graham Farish | Code: 372-163DS | N Gauge
- Free postage
We guarantee the price of our forthcoming releases for Locomotives, coaches and wagons to be at least 10-25% less than the RRP at the time of release. We also offer large discounts on many of our railway accessory ranges. We continually monitor other retailers to ensure that our prices are always competitive. Please note limited editions and exclusive products are not included in the price promise offer.
Have one to sell? Sell it to Rails of Sheffield
You purchased this item on
Notify me when this product is released
If you would like us to email you when this product is in stock at Rails, enter your email address in the form below.Something went wrong - please try again.
Thank you for registering for notifications! You will be notified by email when this product comes into stock.
|Product category||Steam Locos/Engines ,|
|Product scale||N Gauge|
Expected: July 2020
The London Midland and Scottish Railway's 8F class 2-8-0 heavy freight locomotive is a class of steam locomotive designed for hauling heavy freight. 852 were built between 1935 and 1946 (not all to LMS order), as a freight version of William Stanier's successful Black Five, and the class saw extensive service overseas during and after the Second World War. The type was extremely successful at doing what it was designed for, it was long-lived - to the end of British Rail steam in August 1968, and extremely widely travelled across the Midlands and Northern England into Scottish region and parts of Wales.
The 8F design incorporated the two-cylinder arrangement of the Black Fives. They were initially classified 7F, but this was later changed to the more familiar 8F. On the outbreak of the Second World War, the design was chosen to become the country's standard freight design, reprising the role the GCR Class 8K had in the First World War. The War Department had 208 8Fs built by Beyer Peacock and North British Locomotive Company and requisitioned 51 more. Stanier 8F production for the WD continued until 1943, when the cheaper WD Austerity 2-8-0 was introduced. Production for British domestic use continued until 1946.
Some 331 locomotives were built for the London Midland and Scottish Railway between 1935-45. A further 245 were built by the London and North Eastern Railway, Great Western Railway and Southern Railway in 1943-45 for LMS stock, though mostly retained on loan by the other railways during the war. The LNER also purchased 68 Stanier 8Fs for its own use in 1944-46, classifying them O6, though these were also sold to the LMS after the war. As noted above, 51 LMS locomotives were requisitioned by the WD in 1941, but 31 WD locomotives were subsequently purchased by the LMS in 1943 (including 8 of the requisitioned engines).
624 8Fs passed into British Railways ownership when Britain's railways were nationalised in 1948. A further 39 (10 requisitioned) were purchased from MEF stock in 1948, and a final 3 (1 requisitioned) from the Longmoor Military Railway in 1957, bringing the total to 666. The 8Fs were concentrated on the London Midland Region, but were also allocated to former LMS sheds on other regions. Despite some having operated in Scotland by the LMS, they were not common on the Scottish Region under BR ownership as the later WD 'Austerity' 2-8-0 and 2-10-0 types were used instead. The 8Fs were successful and durable locomotives in BR service, with all 666 locomotives surviving until 1960 and routine withdrawals not beginning until 1964. The first to go in 1960 was 48616, followed two years later by 48009. 48773–48775 (the former Longmoor Military Railway locomotives which were the only 8Fs on the Scottish Region) were also withdrawn in 1962, but these were reinstated into London Midland Region stock in 1963. The remaining 664 were withdrawn between 1964 and 1968, with 150 surviving to the last year of steam on BR. Fourteen examples survive in preservation including some repatriated from Turkey.
- N Class No.1823 in Southern Railway lined Maunsell Green (DCC Sound)
- WD Austerity Class 'Major-General Mc Mullen' LMR Blue 2-8-0 Steam Locomotive No.79250
- N Class No. 31810 in weathered BR Black (Late Crest) livery
- Princess Coronation Class "Queen Elizabeth" BR Green E/E Locomotive 46221
- LNER J39 with Group Standard 4200 Gallon Tender 64897 BR Black (Early Emblem)
- WD Austerity Class BR Black Early Emblem Weathered 2-8-0 Locomotive No.90441
- Princess Coronation Class "City of Edinburgh" BR Green L/C Locomotive 46241
- WD Austerity Class LNER Black 2-8-0 Steam Locomotive No.3085
- Class 4MT Tank #80027 BR Lined Black Early Emblem
- Castle Class #5070 'Sir Daniel Gooch' BR Lined Green Late Crest
- LNER J39 with Stepped Tender 64739 BR Black (Late Crest)
- C Class 0-6-0 1294 Southern Railway Black Locomotive
- Class A1 'Tornado' BR Lined Brunswick Green Early Emblem Locomotive #60163
- SE&CR N Class 1860 SR Black (Sunshine)
- MR 3835 4F with Fowler Tender 4057 LMS Black (MR numerals)
- BR Standard Class 4MT #76079 BR Lined Black Early Emblem
- C Class 0-6-0 31227 BR Black Early Emblem Locomotive
- Class 3F Jinty LMS Black 0-6-0 Tank Locomotive No.7309
- BR Standard 5MT with BR1B Tender 73109 BR Lined Black (Early Emblem)
- Class B1 'Roedeer' #1040 LNER Lined Black
- Class 3F Jinty BR Black Early Emblem 0-6-0 Tank Locomotive No.47314
- Class 3F Jinty BR Black Late Crest 0-6-0 Tank Locomotive No.47500
- Merchant Navy Class 'Holland-Afrika Line' BR Green Early Emblem #35023
- LMS Fairburn Tank 2278 LMS Black (Revised) Weathered
- 'Clan Line' BR Green Late Crest Merchant Navy Class 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive No.35028
- BR Standard Class 5MT 73068 BR Lined Green Late Crest BR1C Tender
- BR Standard 5MT with BR1 Tender 73049 BR Lined Green (Late Crest) - DCC Sound
- LMS Fairburn Tank 42062 BR Lined Black (Late Crest)
- MR 3835 4F with Fowler Tender 43892 BR Black (British Railways)
- LNER Class O6 (8F) 2-8-0 3506 LNER Black Locomotive
- BR Standard 5MT with BR1 Tender 73050 BR Lined Black (Late Crest) Weathered
- Class A2 'A H Peppercorn' #525 LNER Apple Green
- Class A1 'Tornado' #60163 BR Express Blue 4-6-2 Locomotive
- MR 3835 4F with Fowler Tender 43931 BR Black (Late Crest) Weathered
- LMS Stanier Class 8F 2-8-0 8035 LMS Black
- BR Standard 3MT Tank 82029 BR Lined Black Late Crest (Weathered Edition)
- LNER J39 with Stepped Tender 4761 LNER Black (LNER Original)
- LMS Stanier Class 8F 2-8-0 48608 BR Black Early Emblem
- Standard Class 3MT BR Plain Green (Late Crest) 2-6-2 Tank Locomotive No.82020