Accurascale goes nuclear 25/11/2019
Accurascale's Warley announcement is the impressive KUA, 150-ton, four bogie nuclear flask wagon as part of its growing exciting range of OO gauge rolling stock.
These impressive wagons were built by Bombardier/Prorail of Wakefield in 1998 and designed to carry spent nuclear fuel from Royal Navy nuclear submarines from their bases at Devonport and Rosyth to Sellafield for disposal.
As well as these bases, the two KUA wagons have travelled extensively across the UK network, reaching Gerogemas Junction at the top of Scotland, to Washwood Heath and Wembley Yard as well as Eastleigh.
Accurascale sees the KUA as a suitably impressive wagon to compliment their forthcoming DRS Class 37/6 range. The production run of the wagons will be a small production run due to the limited nature of the prototypes, which were previously considered to be unlikely to appear in ready to run format.
When loaded the KUAs are always accompanied by DRS courier coaches carrying elite protection teams – often Royal Marines or similarly trained Army units - and frequently double headed to allow for the failure of a locomotive.
The Royal Navy still has numerous retired but fully fuelled nuclear submarines in southern England and Scotland and these wagons are expected to see ongoing use for years to come.
This project has come about quite quickly thanks to the work of Revolution Trains, who have provided Accurascale the data and opportunity to produce this specialised and interesting wagons in OO.
The Specification is as follows:
- Highly detailed, accurate scale model
- Factory-fitted detail parts (brake pipes, lamp irons, etc.)
- Factory-fitted etched metal details where required
- Factory-fitted pipework
- Sprung metal buffers
- Fully detailed under-frame
- Blackened metal 12mm disc wheels on metal axles, RP25.88 profile sets with 14.4mm back to backs and 26mm over pinpoints
- NEM coupler pockets fitted on 'kinematic' mounts with narrow tension lock couplers provided
- Multiple die-cast chassis parts for ideal weight over axles
- Designed for easy conversion to EM and P4 gauges
- Length of Wagon, buffer to buffer of 325mm (650mm for the pair of wagons)
Pre-order the twin pack now for £159.95, with delivery expected Q2 2020.